At half time, just before Beyonce performs, you walk into the living room with your new appetizer. The room, wanting more of your delicious food, turn their heads to you, their eyes following your every move. Hesitation sets in. What is it? Will it be good? Staring awkwardly at your creation, the room is silent.
Your toughest critic, the 12 year old cousin who hates all food unless topped with ketcup, gets up and walks over to you and the plate. Taking the appetizer by the hand and shoving it into his mouth, you look down at him, your eyes widen cautiously waiting a response. “Yum!” he shouts, and takes another. The room, in quiet agreement, gets up to take a piece of the strange appetizer before them, cucumber salmon. Cucumber Slices with Salmon and topped with a citrus avocado cream.
The appetizer, yummy and healthy, might bring hesitation to your guests. Salmon on cucumber? How can that be hearty? It might not be hearty, but cucumber salmon will appease your health-conscious guests.
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 -3 ounces of thinly sliced smoked salmon, or an oven baked salmon filet
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or lime
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled pitted and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- cayenne or roasted garlic pepper
- Cut 18-20 rounds from the cucumber (about 1/4 inch thick).
- Top each round with a thin slice of salmon cut to fit. Drizzle a little lemon or lime juice over the salmon, then season with salt and pepper.
- Cream together avocado, sour cream, 1 teaspoon of lime juice, salt, pepper, and cayenne or roasted garlic pepper smooth and blended.
- Garnish each cucumber slice with a dollop of avocado cream.
- Keep the cucumber salmon chilled in a fridge until it’s time to serve.
- Enjoy your cucumber salmon!