Sweet potato pie is like music to my ears. Brian never had sweet potato pie, so I needed to make him one. He’s had sweet potato fries, mashed sweet potatoes but never a sweet potato pie!
This pie is a family tradition in my house. Every fall around Thanksgiving, my family would make me bake sweet potato pies for days. I can’t tell you how many of these pies I’ve made in my life. Even today, my siblings call me up every Thanksgiving asking for sweet potato pies. Last year, I brought 5 pies and in a matter of minutes, they were demolished. A sweet potato pie pretty easy to make, and does not require a lot of time, and more importantly, it’s delicious! Because I’m used to baking pies in bulk, the recipe below yields 3 pies. Divide as needed. Here is a recipe that will be sure to make everyone wanting more…
Fatima’s Sweet Potato Pie
Makes 3, 9-inch pies
- 7 small-medium, sweet potatoes (yields 4.5 cups)
- 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Boil potatoes until soft.
- Peel potato and mix on medium speed until all lumps are gone.
- In your pie dish lay out your crust.
- In your potato mixture, add sugars, spices, vanilla, butter, and half and half. Mix until smooth. Add additional spices and sugars as desired.
- Add beaten eggs and combine.
- Pour the pie filling equally into the 3 pie crusts.
- Bake for 1-1.5 hrs on 350 degrees F or until knife comes out clean from the center of the pie.
- Take out the pie and let cool before serving.