There’s nothing like having sweet potato mash in the fall. Almost like having sweet potato pie with your turkey. But why wait until then? Last week, we made baked tilapia with sides of broccoli and sweet potato mash. It was delicious.
Sweet Potato Mash
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 tbsp half and half
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- Dash of nutmeg
- Place the sweet potato chunks into a large saucepan.
- Add water and fill right over the sweet potato chunks.
- Place over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover and boil for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potato and leave in the pot.
- Add half and half, butter, spices, and mash using a wooden spoon.
- Add more spices/butter/half and half as needed.
- Serve immediately.
One large sweet potato will yield 3-4 servings. If you love sweet potatoes and anticipate a heavy handed spoonful, use 2 sweet potatoes. The warm undertones of the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg will bring back all the feelings of fall. A great side for almost any meal. You know you’ve made a great side dish when it’s all been eaten, every last bite of it.