Last Christmas, Fatima and I made these adorable Elf Ornaments for everyone in my family. We wanted to give them a handmade gift that they could display on their Christmas trees. The significance of giving the same ornament was to remind them that family is always connected. While most of our family is located in the northeast, we have family in the south and as far west as Hawaii!
When they look at their trees during the hectic holiday season, we want the ornaments will remind them of our collective family and make our farthest relatives feel so much closer.
Making all of these Elf Ornaments took quite some time, but only because we had so many to make. We were still making them over the last week! For family reading this and wondering where your elf ornaments are, they are on the way! While they took a while to make, only a few supplies are needed.
DIY Elf Ornaments
- Green felt
- Doll head
- Mini bells
- Mini pine cone
- Wooden stars
- Hot glue gun
- To make the ornaments, we cut small pieces of felt for the hats. This was the hardest part for me. In order to do this, we had to form cones out of the felt and marked where we had to cut. While tall hats are fun, they looked pretty weird.
- Once the hats were cut out, we hot glued them down the seam.
- The next thing we did, was hot glue the doll heads to the pine cones.
- After the heads dried, we hot glued a ring inside of the hat and affixed them to the doll head.
- Next, cut strips out of the felt to be used as scarves. These will cover up the little necks. Hot glue the ends behind the head.
- Using a permanent marker, apply small dots on the front of the doll face for eyes. These don’t need to be too large.
- We sewed on the bells using a simple needle and thread to the very top of the hat.
- Using twine, tie a loop at the base of the bells so you can hang these on a Christmas tree.
- Lastly, glue the wooden stars on the pine cones.