For our family parties, our food theme was “mini.” Last week Fatima made a delicious steak and cheese sandwich. It was my first steak and cheese – ever. When we were thinking of an appetizer menu for Christmas, we needed to think of something to fit into our “mini” theme. So I thought, “why not little steak and cheeses?”
These were a hit and were gobbled up in minutes. What’s great about this appetizer, is that it’s easy to prep ahead of time and once you’re ready to serve, you just need 10 minutes in the oven.
When thinking of a good marinade for the steak, Fatima threw together some liquids and herbs and we let sit for 30 minutes. It gave the steak a great taste. For the cheese, provolone or a Vermont cheddar will do just fine. I love a melted slice of Vermont cheddar on almost anything. It’s not too flavorful and the sharpness adds a nice layer to flavorful meat and veggies underneath.
Mini Steak and Cheese
- 1lb shaved steak, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 1/4 water
- Garlic cloves
- Onion powder
- Olive oil
- 2o slices of Vermont white cheddar cheese
- In a shallow bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, wine, water, thyme, salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Place raw steak in the bowl, turning it so it is evenly covered.
- Cover bowl and place in fridge for 30 mins.
- Towards the end of the marinade, place a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and onion to the skillet and sauté until they are translucent. Add in chopped red and green peppers and sauté.
- Once your steak is done sitting in the marinade, add it to the skillet and turn heat down to medium. Brown the meat until desired cooked.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees on broil.
- To speed up our process, we toasted the bread in a toaster.
- Lay toasted bread on an aluminum foil-lined cookie sheet.
- Scoop the cooked steak and cheese mixture on top of each piece of bread.
- Top with a slice of cheese.
- Move cookie sheet to the top rack of the oven and watch until the cheese begins to bubble and turn slightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.