Fatima makes the best fried chicken. Paired with some buffalo sauce, we stepped up our buffalo chicken game and made a delicious fried buffalo chicken pizza.
We love our pizzas. 1. Because they’re easy, 2. It’s a meal we can make and personalize together, and 3. They’re delicious. While the dough can be the hardest part of the pizza, there are many options of dough to appease all skill levels like canned dough, frozen pizza dough, and there’s an easy dough from scratch. Depending on our time, we’ll make the dough from scratch or use frozen pizza dough. Rather than a pizza stone, we like to throw the dough right on the cooking rack. This makes a fluffier, flat bread base.
While my favorite pizza to make (and eat) is our BBQ chicken pizza, this fried buffalo chicken pizza comes in a close second. Unlike the shredded chicken we use for the BBQ one, we opted in for small cubes. Glad we did because it ended up being a hardy pizza.
Fried Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Pizza dough (frozen, canned, or homemade)
- 1.5 lbs of chicken breast
- 1-2 tbsp Buffalo Sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- blue cheese or ranch dressing for drizzling
- 1 small red onion cut in thin strips (or to your liking)
For fried chicken:
- 4 tbsp of flour
- 20 saltine crackers
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of vegetable oil (or enough to fill your skillet half-way)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat your oven to your pizza dough’s desired temperature.
- If rolling dough, roll out and flour.
- Cube chicken breasts and dry the chicken. This will make frying it so much easier. Place on a plate lined with paper towel and another paper towel on top.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat oil on stove on medium high heat until about 275 degrees.
- While oil is warming, crush the crackers in a bowl and mix in flour, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat 2 eggs.
- Dip the chicken into the egg and then roll evenly into cracker mixture. Place a few pieces of chicken into the pan and cook for 10 minutes on one side or until the outside is golden brown.
- Flip the chicken over and cook 10 minutes on the other side until golden brown. Cook the chicken throughly, making sure it reaches 165 degrees on the inside.
- If your chicken needs longer to cook, just make sure to turn the cubes about every 2-3 minutes. After chicken is cooked, place on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- While your chicken is cooking. Place the dough (if going our method) right on the oven rack for about 8 minutes or until slightly golden brown. This will create a flatbread-type of dough. Check often for any bubbles and burns.
- Remove dough from oven, and prepare your pizza.
- In a medium bowl, gently combine chicken with buffalo sauce.
- Layer cheese on your pizza dough.
- Place chicken on top, followed by red onion.
- Add reminder of the cheese.
- Place back in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the dough and cheeses are golden.
- Remove and drizzle with some blue cheese or ranch dressing (I prefer ranch on just about anything).
- Eat up!