Who doesn’t love takeout food? Our go-to dishes are always General Tso chicken, fried rice and of course spring rolls. Being the food bloggers we are, we’re always up for trying something new. We have attempted a chicken dish and our take on a vegetarian spring roll but now it was time to give the fried rice a try.
What I’ve learned with making Asian dishes, is they usually take a lot of ingredients and prep but always turn out so good, with so much flavor; I love that. So, I was prepared for this meal to take a long time, but I found that this was actually very quick to make. The key to not good but great fried rice is making sure you prepare your rice ahead of time to give it time to chill is big time saver. Having your rice cold will allow it fry properly and not stick together and become mushy. Move aside deliver guys because this rice turned out amazing. If you looking to wow your guess try this – it’s definitely the recipe for you.
Shrimp Fried Rice
- 1 cup of rice, cooked and chilled
- 1 ½ Tbsp. butter – divided into thirds
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of mixed vegetables (carrots/peas/corn)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 green onions
- 1 tbsp. of soy sauce
- ¼ tsp of sesame oil
- 1 cup of boiled and peeled shrimp cooked
- Cook rice, then place in fridge to chill.
- In a medium-sized pan, melt ½ tablespoon of butter.
- Once hot, add an egg and scramble. Remove cooked egg and place on the side.
- Add the other half of the tablespoon of butter to the hot pan and add the frozen vegetables, chopped red onion, cooked shrimp and minced garlic clove. Cook for a few minutes or until the vegetables are soft and the onion are translucent.
- Add the third ½ tbsp. of butter to the pan of vegetables.
- Once butter is melted, add the cup of rice and stir until rice is combining evenly.
- In the pan, stir in sesame oil, soy sauce and chopped green onion. Stir consistently and cook for additional 2-3 minutes until the rice is fried. Remove from heat and enjoy!