My aunt Linda makes some of the best chex mix around. I always look forward to Christmastime when a box arrives at my parents’ house with her homemade chex mix inside. We attempted our own crock pot chex mix last year. However, I will never go back to that. From now on, we are making this pumpkin spice chex mix whenever we can. But yes, there will always be room for auntie Linda’s Chex mix.
Heavenly, I guess this is the right word. Although we were making a bunch of food for our fall food party, this Chex mix won for best smell. Maybe it was the combination of the butter, vanilla and pumpkin spice, but it was phenomenal and that smell needs to be bottled up into a Yankee candle – Buttered Up Pumpkin. I wish we were exaggerating; we didn’t want to put these in the oven they smelled so good.
We love adding walnuts and pecans to our food, so this was one of the additions to our chex mix – walnuts and that’s it. My favorite secondary character in a store-bought bag of Chex mix is the salty chip. However, I love the star of the show, the Chex itself. So when making this chex mix, I thought we should stick to the basics that everyone loves.
Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix
- 2 cups rice Chex
- 2 cups wheat Chex
- 2 cups honey Chex
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 c. butter, melted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place Chex cereal and chopped walnuts in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in the microwave.
- As the butter is melting. Combine brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add vanilla into the butter and pour over the Chex and walnuts. Stir until evenly coated.
- Gradually add the brown sugar/pumpkin pie spice mixture over the cereal and gently stir until evenly coated.
- Place coated Chex mix, flat and in one layer, on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. It only needs about 20 minutes tops. Our first batch burned slightly at 20 minutes.
- Feel free to mix it around and turn about halfway through cooking.
- Remove and let sit on the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes.
- Eat it all up or store in an air tight container.