My name’s Ashley and I’m a friend (and now guest blogger!) on Lilies and Loafers. We like to do lots of things together like run in the Color Run, drinks lots and lots of Marquis-ritas, and share recipes. I decided to make their Turkey Meatball recipe Monday night for dinner but ran into one big problem…I don’t do jar sauces. This may sound really snooty, but I fault my Italian grandmother. As my friends will tell you, I eat as few processed foods as possible – not because I’m a granola-eating, non-shoe-wearing type of girl, but because it just tastes better and I love to cook.
I bet you have most, if not all, of these ingredients already in your pantry. There is nothing exotic or expensive here. And I’m willing to bet that this sauce will taste a lot fresher and better than that bottle from the grocery store (not to mention much healthier).
Ashley’s BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1/4 cup – Apple Cider Vinegar (I like the taste of apple cider but any vinegar will do)
- 1/2 cup – Water
- 2 Tablespoons – Brown Sugar (you can use white if that’s all you have)
- 1 Tablespoon – Ground Mustard
- 1 teaspoon – Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon – Black Pepper
- 1 thick slice – Lemon (you can substitute lemon juice, add about 1 Tablespoon)
- 4 Tablespoons – Butter
- 1/2 cup – Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons – Worcestershire sauce
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, mustard, onion powder, pepper, lemon, and butter in a pot.
- Simmer on low for 20 minutes (which is about the time it takes for the meatballs to cook!) stirring occasionally.
- Add the ketchup and worcestershire sauce and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Enjoy hot or cold!
- Makes a little less than 2 cups of sauce.
And that’s it! See how easy that was? I hope I’ve made you a jar snob as well!