Nothing beats a warm grilled cheese and tomato soup. This miniature version takes this delicious dish to any party. Since our theme was “mini” this year, we wanted to pair our mini steak and cheese with another delicious treat.; these grilled cheese and tomato soup shooters. Not to mention, we needed something easy to prep.
While you can make a delicious roasted tomato soup, using canned soup works just as well. Rather than Campbell’s signature tomato soup, we opted in for their larger canned tomato basil. For the grilled cheese, we used sturdy, panini-style bread.
As for prep, we brought the tomato soup over and heated it up there. We assembled the grilled cheese at our house and threw it on a skillet when we got to the party. We could have made the grilled cheese ahead of time, but we didn’t want to risk it going soggy.
All in all it was a really easy appetizer to make and will appease anyone attending your parties, especially in the colder months.
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup Shooters
- Homemade tomato soup or canned soup
- Sliced Gouda cheese
- Sliced Vermont white cheddar cheese
- 16 tall shot glasses
- Make your own or heat your canned soup according to the directions on the can.
- Spread softened butter over one side of all of the slices of bread.
- Flip half of the slices over and layer with 1-2 slices of each of the cheese.
- Cover each with the remaining slices of bread, making sure the butter sides are on the outside.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Place a few sandwiches on the skillet and cook each side until golden brown. While cooking, cover to help melt the cheeses.
- Divide soup into each shot glass filling about 1/2-3/4 of the way up.
- Slice grilled cheese sandwiches so that their width fits into each shot glass.
- Place grilled cheese sticks in or on top of each shot glass and serve.
- We had a few extra sticks and piled them up on the plate.